21 April 2005

[HAK] UPDATE: ShuffleDeck becomes ShuffleMount: Tape Adapter + iPod shuffle Mount

Image

You may remember our previous post about the the Tape adapter + iPod shuffle idea. Looks like he's at it again.

Roland writes in:

Here is an update on the ShuffleDeck. It seems that it cannot be done because the tape adapter contains gears inside. Apparently, both the wheels have to turn or else the tape player will reject the device. The gears take up too much room, so it seems that the Shuffle will be unable to fit. But I have not yet abandoned the idea of using a tape deck, so now we have the ShuffleMount !

As you can see from the video [direct .mpg video link], this device uses the tape deck for play through and holding the iPod. Now playing the Shuffle through your car is a simple snap in. No cords to mess with, or radio stations to adjust. Just snap it in!

This is quite a slick hack! This is why I love this blog! The creativity of our hackster readers never ceases to amaze me. Great job Roland! This seems like something that would make a great product. It also looks simple enough for our readers to create.

Any plans for making a few of these and selling them Roland? Maybe I just need to start up a company to help shufflehacksters sell their wares. We could create our own cottage industry. I know I have my shufflephones idea I would like to realize as a real product someday. Just an idea.

I've added a flickr set with stills from Roland's video if you can't get the video to work or just like pictures better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure that's 100% correct -- I have an old cassette adapter that has no hubs or gears at all and it works just fine. I think if you took out the gears and hubs so that the casstte players spindles just turned inside a empty hole, it would work OK.

Tom Karches said...

It may depend on the specific cassette deck whether the cassette adapter will work with the gears removed. My Villager van deck works with a Reticon cassette adapter, but kicks out my RCA one. I just got a Sony adapter I should try...Tom

Anonymous said...

I can only report my experience with a Sony cassette adapter that I used regularly in the early 90's -- it definitely had no hubs and gears. I'll see if I can find it in the piles of old gear in my basement and provide more details...

Anonymous said...

You're right about the gears. It's necessary for some decks and not for others. I believe some decks have a feature to kick out a tape as soon as it suspects the tape is either caught up or broken (noted because one wheel spins and the other doesnt, perhaps). Auto-reverse uses a scheme related to the torque required to turn the wheels, but I'm not sure if it would cause the tape to eject given unlinked wheels.

Anonymous said...

would you be so kind as to make a guide on how to build it.. with requirements and such..
can it be played in most car cassette players?..
i'd love to give it a shot at building one.. but lack the info.. thanks in advance.. my email is marilyn_masterson [at] yahoo [dot] com

Anonymous said...

I would also love to recieve the blueprints/guide from you, although I have never attempted any kind of hack before. This would be a first, and I would appreciate if you would also email the prints to me at "omogri@yahoo.com". Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've just found my tape adaptor, unscrewed it and taken out all the cogs, and unebelievably it now works in my car stereo! It hasn't worked until now because of the auto-reverse function, but for some reason removing the cogs actually works. Well done the internet!

ipod video said...

I have been looking for this kind of post that is very interesting and informative as well. I want to thank you for sharing this post.